me to westerners:
omg you take your husband’s name after marriage? that’s so oppressive. so you’re like his property? he can do anything he wants with you? *whispers* is it a religion thing?
you put your parents in senior homes? that’s so backwards and heartless. is it a cultural thing?
you leave the house when you’re 18? do your parents not love you? why do they not like their children in the house? is it a cultural thing?
why are all your white men serial killers? is it a cultural thing? are you guys naturally belligerent and have a thirst for innocent blood?
omg you guys owned slaves? how did that even compute as being remotely ok?. i heard you even enslaved your own is it a cultural thing?
i heard you guys throw away food in restaurants instead of letting workers or the homeless have it. that’s so cruel and backwards. is it a cultural thing?
so you get dressed and leave the house to find someone to have sex with? that’s so primitive. is that a cultural thing?
Ferguson Man Forms an Inspiring Team with Cop Watchers to Hold Police Accountable [Video: http://bit.ly/1l8QoAA]
Literally all she did was point out misognyistic tropes in a video games, and this is the aftermath. Men continually prove feminism correct and necessary.
After seeing the dramatic results from the Ice Bucket Challenge, Indian journalist Manju Latha Kalanidhi was compelled to start something similar, but with an Indian slant. “I felt like doing something more locally tangible. Rice is a staple here,” Kalanidhi told CNN. “We eat it every day, we can store it for months. Why not donate rice to someone who is hungry?”
Go off x1000000
"And then to treat my nation like we don’t know how to fight. We, the Lakota, who are responsible [for being] the first nation to ever militarily defeat the United States of America on the field of battle, and "Lawrence of the Plains” has to teach us how to fight??”
Russel Means on Costner’s Dances With Wolves (1990)
From the fantastic, Native-produced documentary Reel Injun
and it is on Netflix
Me at parties
Clearly she wasn’t ready for what Boots had to say. Bravo, Fox, for ignoring the real talk. I bet her producer was yelling in her ear to not respond to him. After this happened, the Fox 8 morning show’s producer sent out the following via e-mail:
"Fox 8 was not the time or opportunity for Boots to go on his political rant. With his statements he not only hurt our station’s credibility but also the festival’s. I was looking to do a fun interview and it turned into something entirely different. We will not be reaching out for any interviews in the future."
haha, Boots Riley is awesome.
This website contains a wealth of useful information on ways to help the people in Ferguson, how you can organize and participate locally, and helps to spread the word and keep the message strong.
"When I walk into a church, I only see paintings of white angels. Why?"
Eartha Kitt, prophetically glaring at the New York Times for bringing racist religious symbolism into its journalism.
1. The Grand Jury that is “investigating” Darren Wilson is comprised of nine White people and three Black people (no word yet on how many of those jurors are from Ferguson Missouri, the town where Mike Brown was executed, and who’s residents are mostly Black)
2. The prosecutor, Bob McCulloch, the son of a slain police officer, has deep ties to the police community, has favored law enforcement in criminal cases, and has literally never prosecuted a police officer for anything, ever
3. Bob McCulloch’s father was reportedly killed by a Black man and McColloch has stated in the past that growing up, he always wanted to become a police officer. Also, Bob McCulloch has a reputation for vigorously prosecuting Black people for any manner of offenses, from minor drug possession to capital offenses
4. Missouri’s Governor, Jay Nixon, has the authority to replace McCulloch with a special prosecutor, but has not done so
5. For Darren Wilson to be criminally charged, at least nine people on the Grand Jury must vote to indict Wilson
As always, there are factors which should always be remembered in this case: officer Darrin Wilson had absolutely no idea about the alleged theft of cigars when he shot Mike Brown 6 times.The Ferguson PD has a history of racially profiling and harassing innocent Black people, and their officers have a “slave master” mentality. And finally, Mike Brown, who was UNARMED, was racially profiled for walking-while-Black, for jay walking, which is not a capital offense